This two-part live online speech writing training course covers the art of creating memorable speeches. You will learn to create powerful and natural language fit for the speaker and occasion. Topics include planning, structure, flow, rhetoric, transitions and other key components.
Two half-days | Day-Day | 10:00-14:00 London time | Live on Zoom | US$600
This module covers strategic approaches and planning techniques to lay the foundations for effective speeches.
- Tailoring speeches for specific audiences and occasions
- Messaging in speechwriting for strategic communications impact
- Selecting and developing appropriate topics, angles and concepts
- Workshop: plan a speech outline for a senior manager at your organisation
Structure and flow
This module covers how to outline and structure a speech framework for optimal narrative flow and development of concepts.
- Structuring a speech outline
- Maintaining attention and interest through variety
- Using transition, signposting and framework devices to orient listeners
- Workshop: deconstruct a classic speech and extract best practice
- The spoken word
This module covers how to “write aloud”: composing texts for oral delivery using natural, colourful sp0ken language and rhetorical techniques.
- Cadence, balance and repetition
- Punctuating for respiration
- 10 classical rhetorical devices
- Persuasion, narrative and transition techniques
- Natural language
Key elements and delivery
This module covers best practice in writing introductions and conclusions, and preparing a speech for
- Speech introductions: attention, motivation and rapport
- Speech conclusions: closure, review and rally
- Preparing a speech for delivery
- Notes and visuals
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
- Understand the concepts at the heart of all good speeches
- Deploy new skills and ideas to put them into practice
- Plan a speech using methodical techniques to lay sound foundations
- Outline content for a speech for optimal narrative flow and development of concepts
- Adapt your writing style for the spoken word including classic rhetorical techniques
- Write powerful introductions and conclusions with respect to the essential functions of these key speech elements
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate-level course designed for learners with existing knowledge and several years of experience in communications or PR. Learning is pitched at a level to help you develop strategic approaches and apply sophisticated techniques. This course is recommended for all communications professionals whose role includes writing speeches, presentations, talking points and all other forms of content for the spoken word.