This Internal Communications training course covers employee communications from A to Z. You will learn to design sophisticated internal communication strategies, plans and campaigns. Topics include change management and best practice on how to communicate with employees in times of uncertainty or crisis.
This course is available face-to-face (two full days) or in a shortened version live online (two half-days).
- Face to face (London) | Two full days | £1,150 +VAT
- Face to face (Dubai) | Two full days | Media One Hotel | $1,390 +VAT
- Live online (Zoom) | Two half-days | 10:00-14:00 London time | $695
This course runs in English. It is also available on request in Dutch.
Strategic role of internal communication
This module explores and defines the core principles, aims, organisational models and concepts that underlie practical and strategic internal communications.
- Strategic goals and objectives of internal communication
- The business case for internal communication
- Golden rules of effective internal communications
- Essential reasons to engage your workforce
- Organisational models for internal communications
Internal communication strategy and planning
This module covers how to create an internal communication strategy complete with organisational systems and a practical action plan.
- The IC strategy framework and planning cycle
- Understanding your audience
- Defining your messages
- Selecting your channels
- Business ownership for internal communications and the profile of the IC specialist
Internal communication tools and channels
This module looks at how to select and deploy the right channels and tools for internal communications.
- Auditing and selecting the right channels
- Trends in internal communications
- Technology and collaboration tools
- The use of social media for internal communication
- The importance of the information cascade
Internal communication campaigns
This module covers international best practice for effective and creative internal communication campaigns.
- Creating effective and creative internal communication campaigns
- The creative thinking process and toolbox
- Showcase of international best practice campaigns
- How to add creativity to your own IC campaigns
This module explores how internal communication can support change within the organisation.
- Change programmes and sources of change
- A practical roadmap for communicating change
- Motivating employees during change
- Handling the downside; communicating bad news
- Keys to successful knowledge management
Internal communication in a crisis
This module explores role of internal communication during a crisis that impacts an organisation.
- Preventing internal issues from becoming a crisis
- The role of the internal communicator in crisis management
- Communicating with employees during a crisis
- Supporting employees during trauma
- Aligning your internal and external communications in times of crisis
Measuring the effectiveness of internal communication
This module looks at how practitioners can measure the overall effectiveness of their internal communications activities.
- The importance of measurement and evaluation
- Setting SMART objectives
- Measurement tools & tactics
- What to do with the data?
- Setting IC budgets
Meet your trainers
Following are some of the ISOC trainers who regularly lead this course, depending whether you join us in London, Dubai or live online.
Trainer profile: Anne Bleeker
Anne Bleeker is a corporate communications professional with 20 years of international experience in multiple industries and highly multicultural environments. Coming from an in-house environment, Anne has been involved in the development, planning and management of communication strategies, internal and external communications campaigns, crisis communications and stakeholder engagement programmes for major organisations including the Jumeirah Group, Future Pipe Industries and the Rezidor Hotel Group. Anne holds a Bachelor degree in Hotel Administration from the Hotel School The Hague and a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs in the USA. She is a former board member of the Middle East Public Relations Association (MEPRA), a member of PRCA MENA and a member of the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC). Anne is Managing Partner of In2 Consulting, a boutique strategic communications agency based in Dubai, which she co-founded with her business partner in 2010.
Trainer profile: Jenni Perry
Jenni is a senior communications professional, PR consultant and strategist. She has extensive experience within the UK Government Communications Network, working closely with Ministers and senior policy officials across various departments including Trade and Industry, and for prominent Royalty. In the corporate world, Jenni was UK head of public relations for global pharmaceutical group Pfizer, where as a member of the European communications team she was responsible for PR and media training across the organisation. Her experience includes strategic public relations, corporate communications, press office development, media relations, public affairs, sponsorship management, crisis communications, corporate social responsibility and writing.
Trainer profile: Frances Barton
Frances is a communications specialist with more than 26 years’ experience in broadcast and print journalism, as well as public relations. Frances began her communications career by training in-house at BBC Northern Ireland. She later worked as a news editor and presenter for the BBC and also for Dubai Television and Radio. Frances served as editor-in-chief for a high-end lifestyle magazine and has also contributed articles to national newspapers in the UK and other countries. As a communications and PR professional, Frances specialises in media relations, employee engagement and crisis communications. Her clients have included major organisations such as Emirates Airline & Group, Dubai Airports, Dubai Airshow, American University of Sharjah and Dubai Tourism.
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
- Define and articulate the strategic principles, aims and rationale for internal communications
- Create an internal communication strategy for your organisation
- Design organisational systems and a practical action plan for internal communication
- Deploy internal communication across all of the key channels and platforms using a toolbox of techniques
- Support and engage employees in times of uncertainty or during a crisis
- Successfully measure the impact of internal communications
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate-level course designed for learners with existing knowledge and several years of experience in communications and/or PR. Learning is pitched at a level to help you develop strategic approaches and apply sophisticated techniques. This course is recommended for managers, executives, communication and PR professionals required to design, manage or evaluate internal communications strategies, campaigns or activities.