Strategic Media Engagement
This two-part live online media relations training course for PR managers covers high-level engagement. You will learn to run strategic media campaigns and manage productive press office teams. Topics include crisis media relations and videotaped media training with replay coaching.
Two half-days | Wednesday-Thursday | 10:00-14:00 London time | Live on Zoom | US$595
Advanced media dynamics
This module covers top-level approaches to media management from a communication director’s perspective.
- Navigating the charged relationship between PR and the media
- Balancing tactics and strategy
- Strategic media engagement
- Trends and developments in media relations tactics
- Online media relations: engaging journalists on the Web
Building media authority
This module covers strategic engagement with journalists at a senior editorial level.
- Building authority in the media
- Thought leadership
- Stimulating and managing third party advocacy
- Issues-led media relations: planned opportunism
- Tricky situations, and how to handle them
Ethics in media relations
This module deals with why and how communications professionals can and ought to “do the right thing” in dealings with the media.
- Managing the reputation of the reputation managers
- Universal codes and principles of ethics as applied to PR
- Veracity, harm avoidance, beneficence, confidentiality and fairness
This module covers how to prepare senior spokespeople to perform well in media interviews, from the perspective of a communication director.
- Media insight
- Analysing the news landscape
- Practical messaging for interviews
- Predicting questions
- Q&A and briefing documents
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
- Engage strategically with the media at an editorial level
- Follow trends and developments in media engagement
- Engage with media online, including blogger relations
- Build authority in the media through thought leadership
- Manage third-party advocacy and planned opportunism
- Navigate media ethics
- Support top spokespeople effectively in preparing for interviews
Who should attend?
This is an advanced-level course designed for learners in senior roles, aspiring to mastery and innovation. Learning is pitched at a level to help you to synthesise best practice and direct strategic implementation. This course is recommended for communication managers and directors with existing experience of handling the media, and whose advancing career now requires them to engage at a more strategic level.
NOTE: This is not a course for media relations professionals at an early career stage. If you are interested in hands-on, day-to-day media relations, consider a Core or Intermediate course such as “Essential Media Relations”.