Storytelling for Professional Impact
Storytelling is the most ancient and primal tool of human communication. Our brains are literally wired to send and receive ideas in the form of stories. This short storytelling course covers how to unlock the power of stories to add impact to communication work. You will learn to define strong and useful ideas for stories, develop effective narratives, and polish your storytelling soft skills for presence and engagement. Topics include universal classic and modern story templates and essential ingredients — characters, places, senses and suspense.
Two half-days | 10:00-14:00 London time | Live on Zoom | US$695
Also available on request in US / Asia timezones
This module covers how to choose and define a core idea, message or theme that will give a story coherence and impact.
- Why stories work: the neuroscience and psychology of storytelling
- Connecting to your audience: the social and interpersonal meaning of stories
- Choosing and refining your story’s central idea
- “Red Threads” and “Through-lines”
This module covers how to develop a narrative concept into an engaging and colourful story.
- Classical storytelling: the seven universal structures
- Modern storytelling: Hollywood rules for storytelling
- Practical storytelling: TED guidance for storytelling
This module covers how to stimulate imagination and emotive connection through the details of your story.
- Devices: suspense, mystery, tension and surprise
This module covers a set of “soft skills” that effective presenters use to draw listeners in when they tell stories.
- “Priming” techniques to unlock your inner storyteller
- Voice and body language
- Audience connection and engagement
- Tips and tricks for opening and closing
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
Define a theme for a story that serves a specific useful objective
Apply insights about the psychology of storytelling to amplify the impact of your stories
Plan a structure for your story, with inspiration from classical and modern narrative templates
Develop your story with key narrative processes and ingredients
Deliver your story effectively in person
Who should attend?
This is a universal course designed for professionals at all levels and in all industries, whose role involves communication with stakeholders and colleagues in the workplace.