Copy-Writing for Marketing, Communications and PR
This copy-writing training course covers specialised marketing, communications and PR. You will learn quick techniques to get your message across in writing, whatever the topic. Topics include short-form and long-form writing for media and online as well as spoken word.
This course is available both live online and face-to-face.
- Face to face (London) | One day | £675 +VAT
- Face to face (Dubai) | One day | Media One Hotel | $795 +VAT
- Live online (Zoom) | Two half-days | 10:00-14:00 London time | $795
Also available on request in US / Asia timezones.
This course runs in English. It is also available on request in Polish.
Writing for persuasion
This module covers the core principles of writing effective opinion pieces for publication.
- Ghost-writing Op-eds on behalf of senior individuals in your organisation
- Selecting and refining messages and news angles for Op-eds
- Opportunistic news writing response: letters to the editor
- Workshop: plan and outline an opinion editorial for your organisation
Writing for colour
This module covers the core principles of writing effective case studies, profiles and biographies.
- Bring messages to life by adding reality, personality and colour
- The case study writing formula: problem-solution-result
- People writing: profiles and biographies
- Workshop: plan and outline a case study for your organisation
Writing for depth
This module covers how to select and plan concepts and topics for features, annual reports and other extended formats.
- Six practical structure tools and techniques for long-form writing
- Ideation and development for longer articles
- Planning, negotiating and placing features in news publications
- Workshop: plan and outline a news feature for your organisation with coaching and feedback
Writing for voice
This module covers writing for the spoken word, such as speeches and video scripts.
- Writing for the lung, not the eye: special considerations
- Principles of spoken vs written language
- Developing scripts for a particular voice
- Video scripts and presentation scripts
Meet your trainers
Following are some of the ISOC trainers who regularly lead this course, depending whether you join us in London, Dubai or live online.
Trainer profile: Izabela Hamilton
Izabela is a communications specialist and certified executive coach with more than 15 years' international experience in Europe, the United States and the Middle East. She managed the communications functions for prominent international brands including Jumeirah Group's flagship Burj Al Arab hotel, market intelligence group Euromonitor International, Incisive Media and Business Monitor International. Izabela's responsibilities and expertise include internal and external communication, crisis, events, media relations and coaching for public speaking. She delivers career and communication coaching for individuals and organisations of all sizes. She trains on many topics including soft skills, executive presence, communication strategy and reputation management.
Trainer profile: Jenni Perry
Jenni is a senior communications professional, PR consultant and strategist. She has extensive experience within the UK Government Communications Network, working closely with Ministers and senior policy officials across various departments including Trade and Industry, and for prominent Royalty. In the corporate world, Jenni was UK head of public relations for global pharmaceutical group Pfizer, where as a member of the European communications team she was responsible for PR and media training across the organisation. Her experience includes strategic public relations, corporate communications, press office development, media relations, public affairs, sponsorship management, crisis communications, corporate social responsibility and writing.
Trainer profile: Felice Hawley
Felice is a versatile editor, writer and broadcaster with in-depth experience of economic and business news. During a 16-year career at CNN, she helped create and then produce the award-winning live business programme “World Business Today”. Moving to text, Felice became Managing Editor of Hoover’s Online Europe, responsible for a team of journalists. She later went on to launch several websites, intranets, extranets and microsites. She writes, edits and manages content for organisations including Transport for London and the NHS. Felice consulted on web and print materials ahead of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games in London.
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
- Write a persuasive opinion editorial that will generate publicity or reputational benefits
- Write case studies that showcase your organisation’s successes
- Write colour pieces including profiles and biographies
- Use long-form writing techniques to outline deeper articles such as annual report content and feature stories
- Write advertorials of genuine editorial interest
- Write strong texts for the spoken word, including speeches and video scripts
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate-level course designed for learners with existing knowledge and several years of experience in communications or PR. Learning is pitched at a level to help you develop strategic approaches and apply sophisticated techniques. This course is recommended for PR and marketing communications professionals who would like to expand or refine their writing skills to include new formats.