Writing for Business
This business writing training course empowers professionals to write with greater impact. You will learn techniques to enhance clarity, accuracy, style and tone. Topics include rhythm and pace, sentence and paragraph construction, persuasion, quality, editing and proofreading.
This course is available both live online and face-to-face.
- Face to face (London) | One full day | £575 +VAT
- Face to face (Dubai) | One full day | Media One Hotel | $695 +VAT
- Live online (Zoom) | Two half-days | 10:00-14:00 London time | $695
Also available on request in US / Asia timezones.
This course runs in English. It is also available on request in Dutch or Polish.
- Six principles of business writing
- The 5 Ws – questions to ask before writing
- Putting yourself in the readers’ shoes
Clear and Concise Writing
- Developing a ‘Lean & Fit’ Writing Style
- Less is more: make powerful points using fewer words
- Active and passive voice
Rhythm and Pace
- Sentence and paragraph construction
- Bulleting information
- Punctuation to aid meaning
Style and Tone
- What makes an effective style of writing?
- How do we produce a professional tone?
- Persuasive writing
Structure and Planning
- Frameworking and outlining
- Narrative planning
- Information architecture
- Techniques for short and longer documents
- The Final Touches
- Avoiding time-consuming re-writes
- Logical approaches to proofreading
Meet your trainers
Following are some of the ISOC trainers who regularly lead this course, depending whether you join us in London, Dubai or live online.
Trainer profile: Anne Bleeker
Anne Bleeker is a corporate communications professional with 20 years of international experience in multiple industries and highly multicultural environments. Coming from an in-house environment, Anne has been involved in the development, planning and management of communication strategies, internal and external communications campaigns, crisis communications and stakeholder engagement programmes for major organisations including the Jumeirah Group, Future Pipe Industries and the Rezidor Hotel Group. Anne holds a Bachelor degree in Hotel Administration from the Hotel School The Hague and a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs in the USA. She is a former board member of the Middle East Public Relations Association (MEPRA), a member of PRCA MENA and a member of the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC). Anne is Managing Partner of In2 Consulting, a boutique strategic communications agency based in Dubai, which she co-founded with her business partner in 2010.
Trainer profile: Felice Hawley
Felice is a versatile editor, writer and broadcaster with in-depth experience of economic and business news. During a 16-year career at CNN, she helped create and then produce the award-winning live business programme “World Business Today”. Moving to text, Felice became Managing Editor of Hoover’s Online Europe, responsible for a team of journalists. She later went on to launch several websites, intranets, extranets and microsites. She writes, edits and manages content for organisations including Transport for London and the NHS. Felice consulted on web and print materials ahead of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games in London.
Trainer profile: Izabela Hamilton
Izabela is a communications specialist and certified executive coach with more than 15 years' international experience in Europe, the United States and the Middle East. She managed the communications functions for prominent international brands including Jumeirah Group's flagship Burj Al Arab hotel, market intelligence group Euromonitor International, Incisive Media and Business Monitor International. Izabela's responsibilities and expertise include internal and external communication, crisis, events, media relations and coaching for public speaking. She delivers career and communication coaching for individuals and organisations of all sizes. She trains on many topics including soft skills, executive presence, communication strategy and reputation management.
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
- Understand and follow the six principles of effective business writing
- Focus on and satisfy readers’ expectations
- Ensure your message is quickly understood and accepted by the reader
- Avoid word inflation
- Adopt a variety of preparation techniques
- Write convincing, persuasive and powerful documents that achieve their objectives
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate-level course designed for those who have experience of writing a variety of documents, and who want to develop their style of writing and sharpen their impact.