Advocacy, Messaging and Positioning
This two-part live online advocacy course covers how to define punchy and resonant ideas and statements. You will learn to distil ideas and craft powerful messages for persuasive communication. Topics include principles of strong messages and tailoring positioning for stakeholders.
Two half-days | Monday-Tuesday | 10:00-14:00 London time | Live on Zoom | US$600
Practical tools for powerful messaging
This module covers how to focus and distil complex or nuanced ideas into clear messages that will drive effective communications.
- Understanding the fundamentals of strong messaging
- Creating messages for your organisation
Effective positioning for stakeholders
This module covers how to tailor messages to the needs of particular stakeholder groups.
- Using message development tools to focus on stakeholders’ needs
- Aligning interests of your organisation with your stakeholders
- Understanding how to position your organisational goals with the public interest
Proof and persuasion
This module covers how to use facts, proof, stories and emotional appeal to make messages relevant, memorable and convincing.
- Providing proof to make messages credible
- Understanding the power of framing messages
- Using language techniques to amplify the power of your message
- Putting a narrative and values in to your message
Leveraging communication channels
This module covers how to deploy positioning consistently and effectively across multiple communication channels and over time.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of different communications channels
- Harnessing new media and social media
- Understanding channel segmentation to maximise the impact of communications
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
- Understand the underlying principles of strategic messaging
- Define the characteristics and ingredients of strong messaging strategies
- Generate messages systematically using a range of tools
- Tailor positioning to stakeholder expectations and perspectives
- Substantiate and illustrate positioning for further impact
- Deploy messaging consistently and effectively across channels and over time
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate-level course designed for executives who need to engage with government, legislators and politicians for work. Learning is pitched at a level to help you to synthesise best practice and direct strategic implementation. This course is recommended for managers tasked with overseeing strategic government and public affairs, whether directly or having hired a consultancy.