This module covers strategic approaches and planning techniques to lay the foundations for effective speeches.
- Tailoring speeches for specific audiences and occasions
- Messaging in speechwriting for strategic communications impact
- Selecting and developing appropriate topics, angles and concepts
- Workshop: plan a speech outline for a senior manager at your organisation
Speech structure and flow
This module covers how to outline and structure a speech framework for optimal narrative flow and development of concepts.
- Structuring a speech outline
- Maintaining attention and interest through variety
- Using transition, signposting and framework devices to orient listeners
- Workshop: deconstruct a classic speech and extract best practice
Language for the spoken word
This module covers how to “write aloud”: composing texts for oral delivery using natural, colourful sp0ken language and rhetorical techniques.
- Principles of spoken language
- Cadence, balance and repetition
- Punctuating for respiration
- 10 classical rhetorical devices
- Persuasion, narrative and transition techniques
- Workshop: natural language
Essential components and delivery
This module covers best practice in writing introductions and conclusions, and preparing a speech for delivery.
- Speech introductions: attention, motivation and rapport
- Speech conclusions: closure, review and rally
- Preparing a speech for delivery: notes and visuals
- Workshop: write a powerful speech introduction and conclusion