Social Media Strategy is a one-day course on best practice in strategies and approaches to engaging in communication through online channels. It teaches a practical guidance on how to evaluate your social media world and design a strategy to engage there. You will learn to navigate the fast-developing online landscape and develop social media communication strategy backed by sound policies and governance.
This course covers the following modules:
- Social media communications landscape
- Strategic implications and case studies
- Social media strategy development
- Social media governance and policies
This is an intermediate-level course designed for learners with existing knowledge and several years of experience in communications or PR. Learning is pitched at a level to help you develop strategic approaches and apply sophisticated techniques.
This course is recommended for communications, PR and marketing professionals at all levels whose role includes strategies and tactics for engagement with online social media on behalf of their organisation. It is also suitable for managers and executives responsible for managing and supervising this activity at a strategic level.
After this course you will be able to:
- Adopt best practice based on case studies of highly successful approaches to online communication
- Create an online communication strategy for your organisation
- Design systems and processes to guide and enable your organisation to engage in online social media
Social media communications landscape
This module covers the state of the art in online communications: understanding the landscape, themes, trends and principles that are essential to success
- Harnessing and aligning online communication to serve business goals
- Letting go: why the illusion of control is more dangerous than the reality of exposure
- Learning to love the messy, distributed, interactive, immersive online environment
- Participatory PR: communicating “with” not “at” in interactive conversation
- “Message as medium”: content-driven communication
Strategic implications and case studies
This module examines the strategic implications for organisations engaging online in the context of the latest social media trends and developments, through the prism of a series of case studies of good and bad practice.
- Case studies
- International best practice
- Future trends
Social media strategy development
This module covers best practice in designing a rigorous and comprehensive online strategy
- Step-by-step guide to creating an online communication strategy
- Integrating online communication with business
- Mapping your online world: identifying the platforms and influencers that matter to you
- Online monitoring: activating your social media radar
- Online media ecosystem: owned, paid and earned
- Proving the value of online communications: ROI and KPIs
Social media governance and policies
This module covers how to design social media guidelines, roles and policies for your organisation based on international best practice.
- Systems, policies and processes, resources
- Defining social media roles and responsibilities
- Creating your own social media policy
- Examples and case studies
- Reputational risk assessment
- Rolling out and policing social media policies
Social Media Strategy for Communications and PR is a standalone course — but you can also take it as part of one of the following longer Programmes: