This intermediate-level social media crisis management course covers how to defend and repair reputation online in crisis situations. Topics include how to prepare a social media crisis communication strategy, how to track and analyse fast-moving online buzz in a crisis, and. You will develop judgment about how, when and where to engage.
You will learn to take command of communication in a crisis situation across all key social platforms including Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.
This course covers the following modules:
- Principles of online crisis communication
- Digital channels and platforms for crisis communication
- Online crisis communication strategy and planning
- Online crisis communication response and engagement
This is an intermediate-level course designed for learners with existing knowledge and several years of experience in communications or PR. Learning is pitched at a level to help you develop strategic approaches and apply sophisticated techniques. This course is recommended for anyone who may be involved in the online communication response to a crisis affecting their organisation, either behind the scenes or in execution.
- Understand the dynamics of online communication in breaking news on the real-time web
- Apply international best practice in online crisis communication to your own organisation
- Prepare and plan for crisis communication across all of the key social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
- Respond and engage rapidly in online social media when a reputational crisis arises for your organisation
Principles of online crisis communication
This module extracts best practice lessons from case studies of online communication by organisations facing a major reputational crisis.
- Digital dynamics in crisis communication: how social media spread and propagate reputation-critical information
- Identifying platforms and approaches for online intervention and engagement
Digital channels and platforms for crisis communications
This module is a practical how-to guide to using each of the main online technologies and platforms to defend your organisation’s reputation in a crisis situation.
- Integrating online channels in crisis response
- Twitter in a crisis
- Using Facebook in a crisis
- Using YouTube and multimedia in a crisis
- Using Google in a crisis: crisis search communications
Online crisis communications strategy and planning
This module covers how to prepare digital systems, resources and policies so that your organisation is ready to engage immediately and comprehensively when a crisis strikes.
- Online issues tracking and monitoring
- Creating strategies, policies and systems enabling rapid decision-making and engagement
- Preparing online crisis resources: platforms and content ready to go live at a moment’s notice
- People and skills
- Online press office management in a crisis
Online crisis communication response and engagement
This module builds practical skills and experience of applying online tools in crisis communications, based around a hands-on rolling online crisis simulation workshop.
- Online crisis stakeholder engagement
- Messaging and positioning for online crisis communication
- Identifying and engaging online influencers
Crisis Management in Social Media is a standalone course — but you can also take it as part of one of the following longer Programmes: