Press release essentials
This module covers the core principles of writing effective press releases.
- Understanding the audience: media and online readership
- Workshop: press release writing
- Practical press office planning including reputational risk assessment
- Success factors in press office planning
- A media perspective: hear direct from journalists what they want from press releases and how they use them
- Avoiding press release spam: when to use and when not to use
Press release presentation: structure and format
This module covers the essential ingredients of content and presentation.
- Press release elements (datelines, notes to editors, boilerplate etc.)
- Best practice in format, layout and presentation
- Headline writing: how to write headlines that grab attention
- Lead-writing: how to write introductions that inspire readers to read on
- Organising information for effective structure and natural flow
Press release content: news, language and colour
This module covers how to develop news angles using focused and powerful language.
- Crafting news angles for press releases
- Workshop: re-angling and targeting news releases
- Powerful language for press releases: meaning, context and colour
- Quotations: personality, emphasis and colour
- Quote-writing workshop
- Press release distribution and follow-up
Press releases online: search and social media impact
This module covers how to write and distribute press releases that make an impact online as well as in the traditional news media.
- Keyword optimisation for press releases
- Social media news releases
- Integrating multimedia content