Press Release Writing is a one-day universal training course covering how to write effective press releases. It covers all of the essentials of good press release writing, from news angles to structure, language and distribution, including how to optimise content for the online space. Through practical workshops and expert coaching, you will learn to write powerful press releases that drive mainstream media coverage and also shape reputation in digital media.
This course covers the following modules:
- Press release essentials
- Press release presentation: structure and format
- Press release content: news, language and colour
- Press releases online: search and social media impact
This is a universal course designed for learners at different levels and in a range of roles. Learning is pitched at a core level, designed to help you analyse core concepts and execute universal skills.
This course is recommended for anyone who is involved in writing, editing, commissioning or approving news releases.
- Write well-judged and properly composed press releases that secure excellent coverage of your news and your organisation.
- Understand how journalists use press releases, what they want and need from them
- Plan a press release that will grasp journalists’ attention from the start
- Format and structure your press release correctly with all of the essential elements
- Spice up your press releases with news value, powerful language and memorable colour
- Write and distribute press releases that make an impact online as well as with the news media
Press release essentials
This module covers the core principles of writing effective press releases.
- Understanding the audience: media and online readership
- Workshop: press release writing
- Practical press office planning including reputational risk assessment
- Success factors in press office planning
- A media perspective: hear direct from journalists what they want from press releases and how they use them
- Avoiding press release spam: when to use and when not to use
Press release presentation: structure and format
This module covers the essential ingredients of content and presentation.
- Press release elements (datelines, notes to editors, boilerplate etc.)
- Best practice in format, layout and presentation
- Headline writing: how to write headlines that grab attention
- Lead-writing: how to write introductions that inspire readers to read on
- Organising information for effective structure and natural flow
Press release content: news, language and colour
This module covers how to develop news angles using focused and powerful language.
- Crafting news angles for press releases
- Workshop: re-angling and targeting news releases
- Powerful language for press releases: meaning, context and colour
- Quotations: personality, emphasis and colour
- Quote-writing workshop
- Press release distribution and follow-up
Press releases online: search and social media impact
This module covers how to write and distribute press releases that make an impact online as well as in the traditional news media.
- Keyword optimisation for press releases
- Social media news releases
- Integrating multimedia content