Principles of writing for PR
This module covers the core concepts of writing for PR.
- Strategy, messages and proof points in written PR
- Tailoring written language and content for audience and purpose
- Adapting your written style for PR applications
- Forms of written PR (press releases, opinion editorials, speeches etc.)
Writing for news value
This module examines how to weave strong news angles through PR writing in order to grasp attention and drive coverage.
- How to plan and structure writing for news formats (e.g. press releases)
- Writing to catch attention and interest immediately
- Lead-writing: six techniques for prioritising essential information
- Choosing strong news angles to grasp attention
- Workshop: infusing PR writing with news value
Tighter PR writing: clarity, precision and focus
This module covers the technical dimension of PR writing: structured, disciplined and efficient writing.
- Cut out the fluff: clear, simple and effective writing for PR
- Boil down to essentials: techniques for concise, focused writing
- Precision in language: correcting the top 10 word confusions
- Workshop: avoiding the 50 most common spelling mistakes
- Editing: five practical techniques for correcting and improving copy
Writing for impact: word-craft for PR
This module covers the creative dimension of PR writing: powering up your prose to create clear, bright and engaging copy.
- Techniques to power up your writing
- Adding depth, colour and humanity to written PR
- Workshops: verbs, voice and vocab