Writing for PR and Media Relations is a short course for public relations professionals on high-impact everyday writing skills. This PR writing course covers practical techniques that can amplify the impact of everything we write, from press releases and case studies to emails and blog-posts. You will learn useful tricks and approaches from veteran copywriters and practice them in stimulating exercises, with individual feedback coaching.
This course is popular for its hands-on format, revolving around a variety of fun and fast-paced writing exercises. Expect to spend a lot of your day writing, not listening. You will receive personal coaching on your writing style. Feel free to bring along any press releases or other texts that you are working on, if you would like in-depth feedback and guidance.
This course covers the following modules:
- Principles of writing for PR
- Writing for news value
- Tighter PR writing: clarity, precision and focus
- Writing for impact: word-craft for PR
This is a universal course designed for learners at different levels and in a range of roles. Learning is pitched at a core level, designed to help you analyse core concepts and execute universal skills.
This course is recommended for communications and PR professionals at all levels who could deliver more value through stronger writing skills, from fundamentals to fine-tuning.
After the course, you will be able to:
- Power up your writing to enhance its impact with strong and engaging prose
- Tailor your written language for different audiences and purposes
- Master many forms and formats of PR writing
- Plan and structure writing for news impact and infuse your writing with news value
- Write condensed, targeted, precise texts that convey messages in clear and simple language
Principles of writing for PR
This module covers the core concepts of writing for PR.
- Strategy, messages and proof points in written PR
- Tailoring written language and content for audience and purpose
- Adapting your written style for PR applications
- Forms of written PR (press releases, opinion editorials, speeches etc.)
Writing for news value
This module examines how to weave strong news angles through PR writing in order to grasp attention and drive coverage.
- How to plan and structure writing for news formats (e.g. press releases)
- Writing to catch attention and interest immediately
- Lead-writing: six techniques for prioritising essential information
- Choosing strong news angles to grasp attention
- Workshop: infusing PR writing with news value
Tighter PR writing: clarity, precision and focus
This module covers the technical dimension of PR writing: structured, disciplined and efficient writing.
- Cut out the fluff: clear, simple and effective writing for PR
- Boil down to essentials: techniques for concise, focused writing
- Precision in language: correcting the top 10 word confusions
- Workshop: avoiding the 50 most common spelling mistakes
- Editing: five practical techniques for correcting and improving copy
Writing for impact: word-craft for PR
This module covers the creative dimension of PR writing: powering up your prose to create clear, bright and engaging copy.
- Techniques to power up your writing
- Adding depth, colour and humanity to written PR
- Workshops: verbs, voice and vocab
Writing for PR and Media Relations is a standalone course — but you can also take it as part of one of the following longer Programmes: