Foundations in PR is a multi-skill training programme for communications and public relations professionals. It covers core PR skills and best practice across all of the main disciplines of professional communications.
You will learn the fundamental concepts, strategies and practical applications of media relations, event management, press release writing and online communications.
- Day 1: The global PR landscape
- Day 2: Essential media relations
- Day 3: Social media strategy for communications and PR
- Day 4: Practical event management
- Day 5: Press release writing
This is a universal course designed for learners in a wide range of roles and levels. Learning is pitched at a core level, designed to help you analyse core concepts and execute universal skills. This course is recommended for communication professionals seeking a solid grounding in the core disciplines of their profession, and for non-PR professionals whose role requires mastery of some PR duties.
After the course you will be able to:
- Understand all of the specialised disciplines of PR
- Create an online communication strategy for your organisation
- Design systems and processes to guide and enable your organisation to engage in online social media
- Understand how the media are organised and how journalists think and work
- Develop an instinct for ideas that generate news
- Know how and when to approach journalists with news
- Create a strong concept, strategy format, scale, venue and identity for a PR event
- Understand how journalists use press releases, what they want and need from them
- Plan a press release that will grasp attention from the start
Day 1: The global PR landscape
This one-day module is an executive orientation to the communications and PR profession, its disciplines and mechanisms.
- The global PR landscape and profession: a colourful induction into the modern public relations industry
- Essential PR concepts and disciplines: the principles that underlie all effective PR, and its many specialist practice areas
- Practical PR tools and tactics: a showcase of how effective organisations apply diverse tactics for practical results
- Creative PR platforms: an array of creative and unusual approaches that can generate the most effective and memorable PR campaigns
Day 2: Essential media relations
This one-day module covers the key concepts and techniques that effective PR professionals use to get stories covered positively and prominently in print, broadcast and online media.
- The media landscape: how to map out the full range of forms of news media, and how to engage effectively with different media
- Journalists: how to understand and work with journalists to influence and shape coverage
- News judgment: understanding how journalists decide what makes news
- Pitching stories: how to sell-in stories to journalists by creating and executing effective pitches
Day 3: Social media strategy for communications and PR
This one-day module covers best practice in strategies and approaches to engaging in communication through online channels.
- Principles of online PR and communications
- Online communication strategy, systems and capacity building
- Online toolbox: how PR works on the core digital platforms
- Practical online engagement
Day 4: Practical event management
This one-day module covers the strategy, design, planning and delivery of smooth and professional events, from the essentials of preparation to the realities of delivery and troubleshooting under pressure.
- Event concepts: laying the strategic foundations of a successful event by selecting a strong format and concept
- Event design: a how-to guide to essential ingredients and processes, based on practical checklists and best practice systems
- Event planning and preparation: best-practice approaches to practical event planning through a hands-on approach to tools and tactics
- Event delivery: the realities of managing a major event, with insider tips on ensuring smooth delivery and handling unexpected mishaps
Day 5: Press release writing
This one-day module combines three key competencies: language and technical writing skills, news judgment, and tailoring news writing for the online space.
- Press release essentials: the core principles of writing effective press releases
- Press release presentation: structure and format
- Essential ingredients of content and presentation
- Press release content: news, language and colour
- How to develop news angles using focused and powerful language
- Press releases online: search and social media impact