This five-week live online public affairs training programme covers policy influence using strategic communication. You will learn to engage policymakers to influence government policy and shape legislation. Topics include how to generate media coverage for leverage in government relations.
- Format: 10 half-day live online training sessions over the course of five weeks.
- Schedule: see “upcoming start dates” for the next start date.
- Duration: each interactive online class lasts 3.5 hours including a mid-session break.
- Interface: high-definition live videoconference with enhanced training features.
- Content: best-practice briefings, videos, interactive workshops and high-level discussions.
- Timing: each session starts at 09:00 GMT = 10:00 London time (BST) = 13:00 Dubai time (GST).
If you would like us to run this course at a different time, please get in touch.
Creating a government and public affairs strategy
This module covers the fundamental concepts, principles and approaches to developing a government relations and public affairs strategy by taking learners through a step by step process for creating their strategy which they can use when they return to work.
- Understanding the principles of public affairs and government relations
- Creating a government relations and public affairs strategy
- Stakeholder analysis and management in public affairs
- Understanding and mapping your public affairs and political landscapes
Advocacy, messaging and positioning
This module covers skills and approaches to defining your position and making your case persuasively.
- Messaging for government and public affairs audiences
- Positioning your organisation and its business goals effectively with stakeholders
- Using proof and persuasion to drive your messaging
- Leveraging communication channels for a public affairs programme
Implementing government and public affairs programmes
This module covers the practical implementation of government and public affairs campaigns and activities.
- Understanding the dynamics of political jurisdictions to maximise results
- Using different lobbying programme frameworks for your campaign
- Utilising the best tools and tactics to engage with stakeholders
- Practical workshop in which learners develop their own public affairs programme
Engaging with government officials
This module covers how to develop relationships and hold meetings with government officials.
- Identifying and understanding your targets: getting to the right people within government
- Managing the dynamics of your relationship with government officials
- Developing the right communications collateral for meetings with government officials
- Practical workshop in which learners practice managing their encounter
Using the media to influence policy in government affairs
This module covers how to utilise strategic communications and media engagement to further your government and public affairs objectives.
- Aligning communications activities with government affairs programmes
- Creative PR tools and tactics to generate publicity
- Building relationships with journalists to secure press coverage for your public affairs initiatives
- Practical workshop in which learners practice media interviews, with filmed interviews and feedback
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate-level course designed for executives who need to engage with government, legislators and politicians for work. Learning is pitched at a level to help you to synthesise best practice and direct strategic implementation. This course is recommended for managers tasked with overseeing strategic government and public affairs, whether directly or having hired a consultancy. There is always a high level of knowledge exchange and cross-fertilisation of ideas within this course.
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
- Map out the power structures that determine your organisation’s prospects
- Identify how, where and when to engage in the policy and legislative process
- Develop an issues and stakeholder management plan for public affairs
- Master and execute the main public affairs and lobbying techniques
- Develop a lobbying strategy that integrates public affairs activity in support of your business strategy
- Conduct meetings with high-level government officials
- Build a lobbying campaign designed to shape your policy and legislative environment
- Engage with the news media and harness their influential power as part of a lobbying campaign
- Conduct lobbying online using the main social media tools and platform