This two-part live online course covers government relations skills for meetings with policymakers. You will learn to manage crossed agendas, build common ground and nurture relationships. Topics include strategy, planning, persuasion and influence.
- Format: two half-day live online training sessions on consecutive days (Monday-Tuesday).
- Schedule: see “upcoming start dates” for the next start date.
- Duration: each interactive online class lasts 3.5 hours including a mid-session break.
- Interface: high-definition live videoconference with enhanced training features.
- Content: best-practice briefings, videos, interactive workshops and high-level discussions.
- Timing: each session starts at 09:00 GMT = 10:00 London time (BST) = 13:00 Dubai time (GST).
If you would like us to run this course at a different time, please get in touch.
Getting to the right people
- Testing your objectives and clarifying your purpose
- Understanding how to negotiate the complexity of government
- Targeting stakeholders in foreign jurisdictions
- Honing messages for specific stakeholder targets
Relationships and dynamics
- Understanding where to pitch your meeting
- Developing a deeper understanding of specific individuals
- Analysing relationship dynamics in different scenarios
- Adapting your message frames to different targets
- How to make an introduction and pitch your meeting
- Using communications collateral in stakeholder engagement
- Evaluating the audience, purpose, language and content of communications materials
- Using corporate videos
Managing an encounter
- Top tips on managing an advocacy meeting
- Following up your meeting
- Overcoming challenges
- Making your pitch: a workshop session
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate-level course designed for executives who need to engage with government, legislators and politicians for work. Learning is pitched at a level to help you to synthesise best practice and direct strategic implementation. This course is recommended for managers tasked with overseeing strategic government and public affairs, whether directly or having hired a consultancy.
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
- Evaluate and target the most appropriate government officials for your goals
- Plan successfully for meetings and encounters with government officials
- Manage challenging situations during meetings with policymakers
- Develop communication collateral to support meetings
- Build productive individual relationships with policymakers