25% off selected dates
This two-part live online copy-writing course covers specialised formats for communications and PR. You will learn quick techniques to get your message across in writing, whatever the topic. Topics include short-form and long-form writing for media and online as well as spoken word.
- Format: two half-day live online training sessions on consecutive days (Monday-Tuesday).
- Schedule: see “upcoming start dates” for the next start date.
- Duration: each interactive online class lasts 3.5 hours including a mid-session break.
- Interface: high-definition live videoconference with enhanced training features.
- Content: best-practice briefings, videos, interactive workshops and high-level discussions.
- Timing: each session starts at 09:00 GMT = 10:00 London time (BST) = 13:00 Dubai time (GST).
If you would like us to run this course at a different time, please get in touch.
Writing for persuasion
This module covers the core principles of writing effective opinion pieces for publication.
- Ghost-writing Op-eds on behalf of senior individuals in your organisation
- Selecting and refining messages and news angles for Op-eds
- Opportunistic news writing response: letters to the editor
- Workshop: plan and outline an opinion editorial for your organisation
Writing for colour
This module covers the core principles of writing effective case studies, profiles and biographies.
- Bring messages to life by adding reality, personality and colour
- The case study writing formula: problem-solution-result
- People writing: profiles and biographies
- Workshop: plan and outline a case study for your organisation
Writing for depth
This module covers how to select and plan concepts and topics for features, annual reports and other extended formats.
- Six practical structure tools and techniques for long-form writing
- Ideation and development for longer articles
- Planning, negotiating and placing features in news publications
- Workshop: plan and outline a news feature for your organisation with coaching and feedback
Writing for voice
This module covers writing for the spoken word, such as speeches and video scripts.
- Writing for the lung, not the eye: special considerations
- Principles of spoken vs written language
- Developing scripts for a particular voice
- Video scripts and presentation scripts
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate-level course designed for learners with existing knowledge and several years of experience in communications or PR. Learning is pitched at a level to help you develop strategic approaches and apply sophisticated techniques. This course is recommended for PR and marketing communications professionals who would like to expand or refine their writing skills to include new formats.
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
- Write a persuasive opinion editorial that will generate publicity or reputational benefits
- Write case studies that showcase your organisation’s successes
- Write colour pieces including profiles and biographies
- Use long-form writing techniques to outline deeper articles such as annual report content and feature stories
- Write advertorials of genuine editorial interest
- Write strong texts for the spoken word, including speeches and video scripts