This one-day course explores effective negotiation skills and behaviours. You will learn how to enable and facilitate decisions that achieve win/win outcomes. Topics include transactional, collaborative and creative negotiation models.
This course is suitable for those new to negotiating, who are looking to develop their skills and self-confidence, particularly on a one-to-one basis, for negotiations with customers, suppliers and colleagues both inside and outside of their organisation.
Please note: this is not a sales negotiation or purchasing negotiation course. If you are interested in sales negotiation, please refer to our ‘Sales Negotiation’ course. If you are interested in purchasing negotiation please refer to the ‘Negotiating with Suppliers’ course.
- Understand the processes necessary for successful negotiations.
- Understand the difference between transactional, collaborative and creative negotiation.
- Analyse and develop your range of interpersonal and behavioural skills that are crucial for successful negotiation.
- Put your new skills straight into practice confidently.
Module 1: Core Skills and the Negotiation Process
- Transactional, collaborative and creative negotiation.
- The negotiation process.
- The importance of planning your negotiation.
Module 2: The Essential Steps of the Negotiation Process
- Planning and preparation – best alternatives to succeed (BATNAs)
- Opening, proposing and negotiating for a win/win result
- Reaching agreement, review, and execution.
Module 3: The Behavioural Skills of a Good Negotiator
- Your sources of power in negotiation.
- Understanding negotiation styles.
- Questioning and listening.
- Adopting a WIN-WIN mindset and avoiding deadlock.
- Managing reactions – 1-2-1 and team-based negotiations.
Module 4: Personal Action Plan
- Negotiating with yourself – your personal contract to change how you negotiate and put the learning into practice at work.