This media relations course runs in a compressed format 09:00-14:00 as part of the ISOC Ramadan programme. This crash-course version of our flagship media relations course covers top-level media engagement for senior communication directors and PR managers. You will learn to design strategic media campaigns, manage productive press office teams, and engage the media effectively during a reputational crisis. You will refine your personal spokesperson skills in videotaped role-play interviews and coaching with real journalists.
This course covers the following modules:
- Advanced media dynamics
- Building authority in the media
- Ethics in media relations
- Briefing and supporting top spokespeople
This is an advanced-level course designed for learners in senior roles, aspiring to mastery and innovation. Learning is pitched at a level to help you to synthesise best practice and direct strategic implementation.
This course is recommended for communication managers and directors with existing experience of handling the media, and whose advancing career now requires them to engage at a more strategic level.
NOTE: This is not a course for media relations professionals at an early career stage. If you are interested in hands-on, day-to-day media relations, consider a Core or Intermediate course such as “Essential media relations”.
After this course you will be able to:
- Engage strategically with the media at an editorial level
- Follow trends and developments in media engagement
- Engage with media online, including blogger relations
- Build authority in the media through thought leadership
- Manage third-party advocacy and planned opportunism
- Navigate media ethics
- Support top spokespeople effectively in preparing for interviews
Strategic Media Engagement is a standalone course — but you can also take it as part of one of the following longer Programmes: