This Arabic-language edition of our two-day crisis skills course covers how to engage the press during a PR crisis and how to take control of communication in the crucial early moments after a negative news event. You will learn to activate crisis systems and develop positioning rapidly, take charge of the news media, and manage the online space. Topics include crisis protocols, rapid message creation and videotaped interview coaching.
This module covers how to plan and prepare for a crisis.
- Three stages of crisis management
- Systems and preparation before a crisis
- Mapping issues
- Enabling factors for rapid response
Crisis response and positioning
This module covers how to create and deploy effective and appropriate core messaging for negative news events.
- Universal principles of crisis messaging
- Response process in a crisis
- Proforma positioning
- Techniques for rapid message development
- Best practice examples of crisis response and positioning
The media in a crisis
This module covers how to engage with the press in the high-pressure scenario of a reputational crisis.
- How journalists cover crises
- Crisis news angles
- News dynamics in a crisis
- Strategic engagement with journalists in a crisis
Messaging, statements and Q&As
This module covers how to develop all of the essential crisis communications collateral needed when engaging with the media.
- Crisis messaging best practice
- Developing pro-forma crisis messages
- Press releases vs statements in a crisis
- Creating pro-forma Q&A documents
Speaking to the media in a crisis
This module covers how to engage with the media in a high-pressured crisis situation.
- When and when not to speak with the media
- Rapid response
- Media engagement ground rules in a crisis
- Crisis management case studies and lessons learned
Deploying spokespeople in a crisis
This module looks at how we can select and effectively use spokespeople in a crisis.
- What makes a good spokesperson?
- Selecting the right spokespeople
- Spokesperson management
- Effectively briefing spokespeople for crisis interviews
- Communicating to internal audiences in a crisis
Managing media in the field
This module looks at how to best handle challenging media encounters in the field.
- Handling media off-site
- Responding to door stepping and hostile media off-site
- Planning for a press conference
- Managing a crisis press conference
Crisis media interviews
This module covers media interview best practice when engaging with journalists in a crisis situation.
- Media handling procedures
- Handling difficult questions and high-pressure interviews
- Media interviews under pressure
- Role play practice
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate-level course designed for anyone who may be involved in managing the communications response to a crisis affecting their organisation, either behind the scenes or as a spokesperson.
What you will learn
After this course you will be able to:
- Manage your organisation’s communication during and after an event that threatens its reputation
- Create crisis messages, positioning and response tactics response rapidly and decisively
- Engage confidently with journalists and in online social media at the height of a negative news crisis
- Represent your organisation effectively even in the most challenging of crisis interviews