Crisis communication management is a one-day intermediate-level training course on how to plan crisis communication strategies, systems and resources. This course covers how to ready your communication function to respond rapidly and effectively in a crisis to manage perceptions in media and online.
You will learn best practice in crisis communication strategy, issues mapping, risk assessment, systems, teams, protocols, and resources including crisis manuals and online tools.
This course covers the following modules:
- Crisis communication strategy
- Crisis radar: risk assessment and issues mapping
- Crisis systems, teams and protocols
- Crisis communication resources and planning
This is an intermediate-level course designed for learners with existing knowledge and several years of experience in communications or PR. Learning is pitched at a level to help you develop strategic approaches and apply sophisticated techniques. This course is recommended for anyone who may be involved in managing the communications response to a crisis affecting their organisation, either behind the scenes or as a spokesperson.
After this course you will be able to:
- Establish your organisation’s readiness for crisis communication activities to mitigate reputational damage
- Lead the process of creating a crisis strategy
- Conduct a reputational risk assessment and issues mapping process
- Set up crisis and issues monitoring systems
- Create crisis communication systems, teams, protocols, resources and plans using straightforward templates and international best practice
- Apply practical crisis management tools and ideas to your job
Crisis communication strategy
This module covers the core principles of crisis communication.
- Crisis communication strategy best practice
- Principles of reputation management
- Crisis dynamics: lessons for how crises originate and develop
- Stages of crisis communication
- Case studies: examples and consequences of strong and weak crisis communication in practice
- Key ingredients and approaches to formulating a crisis communication strategy
Crisis radar: risk assessment and issues mapping
This module covers practical tools and approaches for mapping problematic issues and potential sources of crisis.
- Understanding potential origins of reputational crisis
- Techniques to identify and prioritise likely sources of crisis
- How to conduct a reputation flashpoint audit
- How to we set up early warning systems
- Best practice on issues mapping and risk assessment
- Practical tools to map and prioritise reputational issues
Crisis systems, teams and protocols
This module covers the organisational systems that you will need in place ready to respond to a crisis.
- Who does what in a crisis?
- How should we define teams and roles?
- Integrating communications with other departments in a crisis
- Crisis escalation protocols
- Securing internal commitment and engagement
- Coordination with top management and other departments
- Crisis communication response systems and protocols best practice
- Topical case studies showing effective approaches to crisis communication
Crisis communication resources and planning
This module covers the practical resources and planning that must exist to support an efficient crisis communication response.
- Drafting a “Red book” (comprehensive crisis manual)
- Creating a “Dark site” (a crisis website prepared in advance ready to go live at short notice)
- Proforma messages and holding statements
- Physical resources
- Simulation and training