Day 1: Essential Media Relations
This one-day module covers the key concepts and techniques that effective PR professionals use to get stories covered positively and prominently in print, broadcast and online media.
- The media landscape: how to map out the full range of forms of news media, and how to engage effectively with different media
- Journalists: how to understand and work with journalists to influence and shape coverage
- News judgment: understanding how journalists decide what makes news
- Pitching stories: how to sell-in stories to journalists by creating and executing effective pitches
Day 2: Creativity in Communications and PR
This one-day module delivers inspiration and practical tools with which to create distinctive PR ideas that will outshine the competition, stick in people’s minds, and achieve results.
- Creativity in PR: principles of creativity and its importance for PR
- Creativity showcase: a case-study driven rolling workshop in which learners examine the key success factors behind creative PR campaigns and extract practical lessons
- Facilitating creativity: a toolbox of practical creativity techniques and processes
- Creativity in practice: an in-class creativity workshop applying all of the creativity concepts and techniques covered during the course
Day 3: Strategic Media Engagement
This one-day module covers sophisticated approaches to media relations that will enable PR professionals with some media experience to take their career to the next level.
- Creative news and media management: how to generate creative news angles and secure prominent coverage even for borderline stories
- Innovative media engagement tactics: how to engage journalists using innovative techniques
- Online media relations: how to conduct media relations on the Web and align your media relations work with online social media
- Preparing and coaching spokespeople: how to brief and debrief spokespeople so that they perform effectively in media interviews
Day 4: Media training
This one-day module covers how to engage with the media in a variety of formats. Topics covered include:
- Effective preparation for interviews
- Body language, such as appearing engaged
- Voice – including tone, projection, variation and emphasis of key points
- Confidence and clarity (ability to be understood and avoidance of jargon)
- Avoiding tricks, traps and pitfalls
Day 5: Press Conference Management
This one-day module covers best-practice techniques for preparing and managing successful press conferences, from concept to execution.
- Press conference planning: best practice in planning press conferences
- When and how to use press conferences, based on case studies of successful and effective execution
- Press conference preparation: how to prepare venues, resources, materials and spokespeople for a press conference
- Press conference execution: a practical primer in how to make a press conference happen
- Press conference facilitation: the role of the PR professional in hosting, chairing, stage-managing and troubleshooting a press conference
Day 6: Advanced Communication Strategy
This one-day module covers strategy at manager and director level, including creating and deploying sophisticated strategies for complex situations, large organisations, multiple countries and brands.
- Evidence-based communication strategy: how to measure and prove the value of communication
- Advanced strategy tools and concepts: specialised techniques for developing complex PR strategies
- Justifying strategy: securing management support: how to get support from the top for ambitious PR strategies
- Rolling out and managing a communication strategy: the systematic process of creating and deploying a PR strategy
Day 7: Speech Writing
This one-day module covers the art of writing entertaining, persuasive and memorable speeches.
- Speech planning
- Structure and flow
- The spoken word
- Key elements and delivery
Day 8: Reputation Management in Social Media
This one-day module covers how to shape perceptions and conversations online using monitoring, search and content strategies.
- Monitoring and engagement
- Search optimisation (SEO)
- Media engagement online
- Blogging and content
Day 9: Internal Communication
This one-day module covers employee communications from strategy to execution. You will learn best practice in building internal communication strategies that raise motivation, productivity and collaboration
- Core principles and defining concepts that underlie practical and strategic internal communications
- How to create an internal communication strategy complete with organisational systems and a practical action plan
- Internal communication platforms and channels: a toolbox of practical internal communication techniques and channels
- Internal communication campaigns and programmes: a how-to guide to launching internal communication programmes, based on case studies of award-winning campaigns from around the world
Day 10: Advanced Communications and PR Management
This one-day module covers best practice in designing communication departments, managing PR teams and directing campaigns.
- Strategic management for communications and PR departments
- Operational communication management: policies, processes and resources
- Programme management, measurement and evaluation
- Managing and leading a PR team