This communication strategy training course is a one-week masterclass for senior PR professionals. It is designed to develop leadership about the latest state of the art in international communications. The course covers PR strategy, campaign management, internal communication, media engagement and crisis communication. It runs in a small-group format to facilitate sharing of knowledge and experience among high-level peers.
- Day 1: Advanced communication strategy
- Day 2: Strategic media engagement
- Day 3: Handling the media in a crisis
- Day 4: Internal communications
- Day 5: Advanced communications and PR management
This is an advanced-level course designed for learners in senior roles, aspiring to mastery and innovation. Learning is pitched at a level to help you to synthesise best practice and direct strategic implementation.
This course is recommended for senior PR managers, communications directors, agency account directors, communications managers, communications directors, government communications managers and directors.
After this course, you will be able to:
- Feel up to date with thinking and practices at the most senior level in public relations
- Reflect and discuss the latest ideas and developments in the industry
- Develop complex and sophisticated communication strategies
- Identify how, where and when to engage in the policy and legislative process
- Engage with the media strategically at a top editorial level
- Analyse the roles and functions of an ideal communication department
- Create policies, procedures, materials and resources to facilitate the efficient running of your own communication department
- Create crisis messages, positioning and response tactics response rapidly and decisively
- Engage confidently with journalists and in online social media
- Represent your organisation effectively even in the most challenging of crisis interviews
Day 1: Advanced communication strategy
This one-day module covers strategy at manager and director level, including creating and deploying sophisticated strategies for complex situations, large organisations, multiple countries and brands.
- Evidence-based communication strategy: how to measure and prove the value of communication
- Advanced strategy tools and concepts: specialised techniques for developing complex PR strategies
- Justifying strategy: securing management support: how to get support from the top for ambitious PR strategies
- Rolling out and managing a communication strategy: the systematic process of creating and deploying a PR strategy
Day 2: Strategic media engagement
This one-day module covers sophisticated approaches to media relations that will enable PR professionals with some media experience to take their career to the next level.
- Creative news and media management: how to generate creative news angles and secure prominent coverage even for borderline stories
- Innovative media engagement tactics: how to engage journalists using innovative techniques
- Online media relations: how to conduct media relations on the Web and align media relations work with online social media
- Preparing and coaching spokespeople: how to brief and debrief spokespeople so that they perform effectively in interviews
Day 3: Handling the media in a crisis
This one-day module covers how to take control of communication in the crucial early moments after a negative news event.
- Seizing the golden hour
- Crisis positioning
- Online crisis communication
- Crisis media engagement
Day 4: Internal communications
This module covers how to plan, design and deploy communications campaigns aimed at employees and colleagues
- Internal tools and tactics
- Case studies of successful internal engagement
- Recognition and reward
- Communicating corporate values
- Change management
- Employee motivation and engagement
- Overcoming common pitfalls
Day 5: Advanced communications and PR management
This one-day module covers best practice in designing and managing communication departments and directing major PR campaigns.
- Managing a strategic PR department: best practice in running a PR function, from the perspective of communication managers and directors
- Policies, processes, materials and resources: how to design operational systems based on best practice
- Advanced communication programme management: how to lead and manage high-profile PR and communications programmes that deliver results against communication strategies
- Campaign budgeting and financial management: how to plan and manage budgets for communication departments and campaigns