Engaging with Government Officials is an advanced-level government relations training course on how to plan and manage interaction with policymakers.
Topics include strategy, planning, persuasion and influence. You will learn how to manage confrontation and dismissal, how to build on areas of agreement and nurture positive relationships.
This course covers the following modules:
- Identifying and understanding your targets: getting to the right people within government
- Managing the dynamics of your relationship with government officials
- Developing the right communications collateral for meetings with government officials
- Workshop session: managing your encounter
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate-level course designed for executives who need to engage with government, legislators and politicians for work. Learning is pitched at a level to help you to synthesise best practice and direct strategic implementation.
This course is recommended for managers tasked with overseeing strategic government and public affairs, whether directly or having hired a consultancy.
After this course, you will be able to:
- Evaluate and target the most appropriate government officials for your goals
- Plan successfully for meetings and encounters with government officials
- Manage challenging situations during meetings with policymakers
- Develop communication collateral to support meetings
- Build productive individual relationships with policymakers
Identifying and understanding your targets: getting to the right people within government
- Testing your objectives and clarifying your purpose
- Understanding how to negotiate the complexity of government
- Targeting stakeholders in foreign jurisdictions
- Honing messages for specific stakeholder targets
Managing the dynamics of your relationship with government officials
- Understanding where to pitch your meeting
- Developing a deeper understanding of specific individuals
- Analysing relationship dynamics in different scenarios
- Adapting your message frames to different targets
Developing the right communications collateral for meetings with government officials
- How to make an introduction and pitch your meeting
- Using communications collateral in stakeholder engagement
- Evaluating the audience, purpose, language and content of communications materials
- Using corporate videos
Workshop session: managing your encounter
- Top tips on managing an advocacy meeting
- Following up your meeting
- Overcoming challenges
- Making your pitch: a workshop session