Resolving Conflict is a one-day course covering strategies, tools and techniques for effective conflict resolution. Workplace conflict is inevitable, and can seriously damage morale and performance if poorly managed. This course covers how to manage conflict effectively, in a way that boosts relationships, teamwork, productivity, motivation and staff retention. You will learn to identify causes of conflict at work and apply a range of strategies to resolve them. You will also explore situations in which certain kinds of conflict can be useful and healthy as a catalyst for positive change.
This course covers the following modules:
- Understanding conflict and behaviour
- Understanding yourself and others
- Strategies and skills for resolving conflict
- Addressing and resolving conflict inside and outside the team
Who should attend?
This is a universal course designed for a wide range of learners. Training is pitched at a level to help you analyse core concepts and execute universal skills. It is recommended primarily for team leaders and project leaders, although its principles, strategies, tactics and skills are applicable to many people in a wide range of situations where conflict can occur with colleagues, customers, suppliers and other stakeholders.
After the course you will understand:
- Understand how to recognise conflict, apparent or potential
- Better understand the motivations and behaviour of yourself and others
- Give and receive constructive feedback
- Draw on five strategies for resolving conflict
- Be equipped to follow a model for conflict resolution
- Use strategies and tactics for managing conflict
- Recognise and react appropriately to certain behaviour-types
- Understand the stages in facilitating confrontation and reconciliation
Understanding conflict and behaviour
This module covers the nature and signals of conflict and how you can use your behaviour to create a climate where conflict is less likely to arise.
- The nature of conflict and its potential for damage
- Typical conflicts at work
- Common causes of conflict
- The dimensions of conflict
- Determinants of a healthy working climate
- Understanding and using your behaviour
- Helpful and unhelpful behaviours – verbal and non-verbal
Understanding yourself and others
This module explores different character-types and the powers you have to influence others’ thinking and behaviour.
- Knowing yourself as others see you
- Transactional analysis and ego-states
- Assertiveness strategies
- Assertiveness tools and techniques
- Feedback – ‘The breakfast of champions’
- Giving and receiving constructive feedback
Strategies and skills for resolving conflict
This module covers the importance of adopting the right approach to resolving different types of conflict and the skills to support the conflict resolution model.
- Five strategies for managing conflict
- Benefits and dangers of the different strategies
- A conflict resolution model
- Issues influencing the style of conflict resolution
- The skills required for negotiating conflict
- Improving questioning and listening skills to explore causes of conflict
Addressing and resolving conflict inside and outside the team
This module covers the critical confrontation stage then develops all you have learned today towards ensuring a satisfactory conclusion, conflict resolved.
- Confronting conflict with team members
- Ensuring you are part of the solution, not part of the problem
- Facilitating conflict confrontation and resolution
- Identifying conflict with customers, suppliers and stakeholders
- Using the strategies, tactics and skills to best effect
- Exploring conflict as a healthy option, a driver for change